Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secure Network | Requirements

From: Todd Haverkos <infosec () haverkos com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:27:18 -0500

Muhammad Aslam <aslam.popal () gmail com> writes:

All

I would like to know whether anyone have had any solution for the
following scenario and also need to have an insight on best practices
in security industry

I have setup a network where the management has requested to block all
kind of access to the network by means of blocking USB, CD-Drives as
well filtering internet by blocking all ports except for the needed
ones ( even file sharing)

The major vendors have solutions for these requirements.

Blocking of removable media can be solved Mcafee Device Control or
your vendor of choice's equivalent.
http://www.mcafee.com/us/products/device-control.aspx

Filtering/blocking of all ports except needed ones would be a desktop
firewall and/or HIPS (host based ips) product.  Such as this or
equivalent.
http://www.mcafee.com/us/products/host-ips-for-desktop.aspx

Everything mentioned above is part of Mcafee's advanced suite, for
what it's worth:
http://www.mcafee.com/us/products/endpoint-protection-advanced-suite.aspx

Device control also goes hand in hand with DLP solutions by the
way. You can lock things down such that only company issued encrypted
and biometric thumb drives can be used on the network if you like, and
simply reject all others.

Whatever AV vendor you already has probably has competing products of
relatively similar capability.  Whether you can centrally manage all
of them in one console may vary though.  That's why people tend to put
up with McAfee -- their ePO console makes their
none-of-them-considered-the-absolute-best point solutions less of a
pain to manage in total than others.

It's been a while since I've seen a lot of Symantec -- symantec shops,
anyone care to comment on their managability these days?

--
Todd Haverkos, LPT MsCompE
http://haverkos.com/

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1