Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls- Deep Packet Inspection (L7)

From: Soumen Paul <soumenpaul1977 () googlemail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 19:16:39 +0100

Juniper screen OS based FWs use two methods:
1: screening - it's pre defined within it's software code and configurable with limited option. This checks header but
juniper claims it does payload to some extent. As you update software of firewall, this baseline gets updated otherwise
this is pretty static
2. Deep inspection: signature based and inspect payload. The signature database is the same one which they use for
IDS/IPS products

Checkpoint has more options
1: smart defence - signature based and can look at header and payload.
2: web intelligence: can read pay load. Good for web farms and http services
3: CP also have pre defined protocol inspection which it inspects better than other vendors. Base.def file has these
definition. A good example would be, if you use FTP pre defined service in rule base and if the FTP implementation has
issue (non RFC implementation) CP will drop the packet. Either you turn off CP default FTP service or fix your FTP
server.
This is again not true DPI but beyond normal header checking

Juniper does this as well using ALG but not good like checkpoint

Cisco FW just have fix up in pix family and inspect in asa . Not good as the others. It's just protocol inspection. No
payload and intelligent header Checking

Regards
Soumen