Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: IT Manager to CISO

From: ichib0d crane <themadichib0d () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 08:39:44 -0700

Well, people with CISSP often get a bad rap because they have a
tendency of making huge idiotic blunders but at least compared to
Security+ it's better. Security+ is a basic cert that pretty much says
you know not to open random email attachments, firewalls are good,
wifi is bad, ect. There are tons of info sec certs out there and they
pretty much are mainly good for your resume and thats it. Since you
already got the job certs are not all too relevant to you unless you
start looking for a new job explicitly in infosec. What I'd do if I
were you is enumerate everything you'll be in charge of and then get
matching books. Know your network better than anyone else and know
precisely what your network demands security wise. More importantly,
don't be afraid to be pushy and become the 'bad guy' if it means
correcting a STUPID mistake.