Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Adobe Alternatives

From: ron () gmail com
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:24:19 -0600

Hey Steve M

No argument.  All of the points you raised are valid arguments against "security by obscurity".  Anyone who is planning
on using obscurity as a "security" strategy should consider them.

Personally I chose to go with an alternative to Acrobat at home for 3 reasons.  First, I felt acrobat was getting too
bloated (slow loading features I didn't use).  Second, the 2 alternative readers I've used had additional document
markup features that free acrobat did not.  Third was the "security" obscurity provided.

Given recent spate of reported vulnerabilities in Acrobat, Adobe's slow apparent response to patching them, and their
published penchant for downloading versions that needed immediate patching to be secure I don't regret the choice.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1