Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: share permissions

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 16:23:27 +0200

On 2010-09-29 John Wright wrote:
I myself favor the super mega paranoid practice, but as an alterative
to setting smb permissions to everyone/full-access, you could give
full access to Authenticated Users, per the best practice suggestion
in this article:
http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Share-Permissions.html

That's an option, but even "Everyone" isn't as bad as it used to be,
since Microsoft removed anonymous access from that group when XP/2003
was released.

Incidentally, can anyone confirm that effective SMB permissions are an
AND operation (e.g. effective write permission only results when every
group specified in the ACL of which the user is a member has write
permission)?

That is not the case. Permit ACLs are OR'd (i.e. you're granted access
if at least one of your groups has "allow" permissions). Deny ACLs are
ANDed (i.e. you're denied access if at least one of your groups has
"deny" permissions).

I know that the user should be a member of only one group specified in
the ACL for a share

Why?

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1