Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Virtualization - Mixing DMZ and internal guests on one host: would you?

From: John Morrison <john.morrison101 () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:23:45 +0100

My view is like yours - to keep them separate. If the auditors are
happy with a single box and you can't secure funding for physical
separation then it seems churlish to insist on physical separation.

In networks I have designed I have always kept the DMZ physically
separate. There are firewalls available that can be used to separate
the inside, outside and DMZ within a virtual environment. You can't
always be sure that the DMZ and inside will never be accidentally (or
maliciously, or because it is too much hassle, or "it only temporary")
be routed straight to the inside and not forced out of the physical
servers to your firewall. I haven't used these firewalls as they are
still relatively new and I don't have confidence in them. My opinion
is the same for the VMWare security features (vShield Zones). To my
mind they have not been adequately proven in the field.

See
       http://www.astaro.com/en-uk/blog/security-perspectives/astaro-offers-free-business-firewall
       http://www.dailyhypervisor.com/2010/03/12/vshield-zones-some-serious-gotchas/