Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Length vs Complexity

From: Pankaj <pankaj.with.wings () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 23:22:37 +0530

Hmm, Mike.

Using complete English words only separated by dots wouldn't be a good idea because it can be broken through a
brute-force attack using an English dictionary. Of course, having three English words separated by dots is better than
having only two simply because it increases the number of permutations to be tried.

However, if we compare it with the other password, we can immediately get a feeling of more security since the attacker
can't get candidates from an English dictionary. In addition, having the symbols along with letters and numbers just
breaks the logical continuity and thus makes it harder for the attacker to guess it.

So, in a nutshell, the first password is weaker due to its being intelligible to a machine , given a dictionary. Being
longer, it increases the permutations but the gain doesn't offset the risk due to the presence of guess-able words.

Do you agree?