Security Basics mailing list archives

How to detect whether firewall service is provided by server or by ISP?

From: martin <m4rtin86 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:23:17 +0300

I have two servers behind different networks. First network is
protected with firewall provided by the router and there is no
firewall in the server:

[root@martin ~]# nmap --reason -n -PN -p445 192.168.217.73

Starting Nmap 5.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-09-16 13:57 EEST
Interesting ports on 192.168.217.73:
PORT    STATE    SERVICE      REASON
445/tcp filtered microsoft-ds no-response

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2.15 seconds
[root@martint ~]#

The other server is in the second network and there is no firewall
service provided by the router, but firewall is activated in the
server:

[root@martin ~]# nmap --reason -n -PN -p9731 192.168.13.19

Starting Nmap 5.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-09-16 13:56 EEST
Interesting ports on 192.168.13.19:
PORT     STATE    SERVICE REASON
9731/tcp filtered unknown no-response

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2.15 seconds
[root@martin ~]#

Is there somehow possibility to detect, whether firewall is active in
the server or in the router?

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1