Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Monitoring sys admins activities

From: Fred Concklin <fredconcklin () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 20:26:13 -0400

Hey Josiah,

saw this on the securityfocus mailing list and thought it might be of some interest to you moving forward with pitus or
other student run machines.

Basically, assume a zero trust relationship with machine sysadmins. Modification of certain files/directories by
sysadmins needs to be monitored and logged
in a manner where the sysadmin under watch can't spoof/modify changes to or contents of a directory.

My thoughts were an sshfs mount of a directory and doing diffs/logging on a remote machine sysadmins don't have access
to.

-- Fred

Posts from mailing list below: