Security Basics mailing list archives

iTunes for iPhone in an Enterprise

From: J Teddy <jteddylists () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:54:45 +1100

Yes, my organisation is a little slow of the mark, and we are now
looking at deploying iPhones.

Currently it appears management is not comfortable with users having
iTunes installed on individuals machines.  I am not sure what these
concerns are.  Apparently other organisations have solved this issue
with using kiosks, and this is the golden bullet that CIO's are
talking about in their circles.
A kiosk is simply just an internal computer that can be used by any
employee, and has iTunes installed.

If my understanding of iTunes is correct, I had some concerns and wish
for your advise, help, and to understand what you did in this instance
of managing iTunes.

My concern is If all corporate users are to share a single instance of
iTunes on a public kiosk computer they will all be required to share
an iTunes account.  This will involve all users knowing the username
(an e-mail address) and password to the account.  The downfall in this
scenario is if a user wishes to purchase content through iTunes the
same content will be shared among all the users.  Further
investigation needs to be taken if this breaches Apple’s acceptable
use policy.  There may also be implications if the user stores their
credit card information for the iTunes account.

A logical solution would be to assign an iTunes account to all users
on the kiosk.  Unfortunately this can cause similar complications to
the above.  All the purchased or downloaded content will be on the
iTunes library which other users will also be able to transfer to
their device (re. investigate acceptable use policy).  If an upgrade
to a purchased application is released and a user other than the
original purchaser wishes to upgrade the application they will be
required to enter in the iTunes account username and password of the
original purchaser.

Individuals will also rely on iTunes to create backups for their
device.  These backups must be encrypted, or another user could
restore their device using another users backup, revealing private
information stored on their device.

If you know anything about the legal side, it would be great to
reference straight from Apple Policy, as I need to find something in
writing.

I have only found the below at this point in time.
* Your Account
** As a registered user of the Service, you may establish an account
("Account"). Don’t reveal your Account information to anyone else. You
are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality and
security of your Account and for all activities that occur on or
through your Account"

Thank you all for taking the time out to read my mail, and kudos for
those who help.

Mr. Lacanian

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1