Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Checkpoint smart defance as IPS

From: "Erik Ilves" <green.boy () mail ee>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 08:01:57 +0300

Hey,

I'm not 100% sure, but i don't think any IPS provider can look into SSL
traffic itself. Most of the IPS that i know can look at the key negotations
taking place between the client and the server, but not the traffic itself.
If he really wanted to look into what is happening inside SSL then i suggest
buying a F5 or  a similar load balancer device that terminates the SSL in
itself and the traffic to the backend would not be encrypted anymore and IPS
can look at that traffic. As for the best IPS, read Q4 NSS labs test - you
have to register @ http://www.nsslab.com/ to get the document, but basically
the best IPS vendors at the moment are Sourcefire, Mcafee and IBM. I have
tested Sourcefire and Mcafee and found the Mcafee GUI a bit illlogical.
Sourcefire one looked logical and the functionality more than satisfactory
and the upgrades are smooth, so my company went with them (Support for
Sourcefire boxes is incredible! I think they honestly have the best support
for any appliance out there). I have not tested IBM, but NSS recommends it,
so i think there are a lot of good features in the IBM boxes as well, so
recommend one of these 3 to your customer.

As for Smartdefence as IPS. Sorry, but that is a laugh! Checkpoints
Smartdefence "IPS" causes more trouble than good. More false
positives/negatives and random drops than any other system out there and it
is deprecated, the new IPS that Checkpoint provides with R70.x is better,
but it is nowhere near the what a dedicated IPS provider like SF/Mcafee/IBM
gives to the administrator. Checkpoint does firewalls and great ones at
that, but IPS, not their thing or league.

Br,

Erik