Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Session layer in OSI and TCP/IP

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:26:24 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Naruto Uzumaki [mailto:ageofnaruto () gmail com]
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2010 13:58

I do have more questions, but it's 2:30 AM so I can only think of only one
right now.

What "exactly" is a SSL session? I mean how do you view it?
From what I've gathered, I think it's also called a 'dialogue'--

simplex, full duplex and half-duplex.

----

  Looking at reference models, one might imagine that the stack of layers
over a given channel is very static.  But on top of a transport layer you
could have multiple sessions, each encapsulating its own presentation an
application traffic (if those are present).  And different sessions might
contain totally different kinds of presentations....
  Now start looking at VPNs, where we effectively erect a new stack, from
the network layer on up, on top of a transport layer.  I remember when that
made my head hurt for a while.

  I don't understand why you're bringing simplex and duplex into this --
They're generally encountered at the physical and/or datalink layers.  A
simplex connection carries signals in one direction only; duplex in both
directions, but half-duplex only in one direction at a time.

David Gillett

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1