Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Cyber attacks "escalating" on irresponsible Tavis Ormandy disclosure

From: "Murda" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 09:34:37 +1000

As long as he doesn't know about a vulnerabilty, he's totally
in the dark,

This makes me wonder about the quality of our knowledge on things that we
don't know(sounds stupid and paradoxical but just think about it for a few
minutes). It reminds me of Rumsfeld's 'known unknowns and unknown unknowns'.
Which is a strangely insightful thing to say-even if it does sound
illogical(it is actually very logical).

Discovering vulnerabilities has something incremental in its process as much
as it has elements of serendipity and luck associated with it.
Hackers(wearing white/black/grey or Joseph's Technicolour hats) often do
some tinkering and find something unusual and interesting.

So perhaps vendors and developers need to be more aware of the limits of
their knowledge of their own software and of the processes that they use to
create that software. And disclosures of vulnerabilities are a stark
reminder of that.