Security Basics mailing list archives

Pwnie Awards 2010 should be condemned by the security community

From: "andrew.wallace" <andrew.wallace () rocketmail com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 00:38:58 -0700 (PDT)

I nominated Tavis Ormandy for "Most Epic FAIL" but it didn't get shortlisted,
probably because Pwnie awards is biased because all of the judges carry out the
same questionable activity as he does.

It is disgusting that people like Laurent GaffiƩ and Tavis Ormandy are being
made heros for putting everyone on the internet and beyond at risk by making
irresponsible disclosures behind Microsoft's back.

People like GaffiƩ and Ormandy shouldn't be awarded for anything, instead their
behaviour should be condemned by the security community.

Tavis Ormandy's recent disclosure was the first real case of cyber terrorism
n3td3v Security has said in a statement on its blog.

The "winners" of Pwnie awards are due to be announced at BlackHat USA security
conference on July 28, 2010.

Reference: http://pwnies.com/

Andrew Wallace

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1