Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Cyber terrorism in early stage and evolving threat

From: Dan Lynch <DLynch () placer ca gov>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 08:28:12 -0700

N3td3v said:
we aren't seeing traditional physical terrorism groups
being interested in cyber terrorism.

That's because what you call cyber-terrorism isn't terrorism at all. As murder necessarily involves death, terrorism
_necessarily_ involves the use of violence to incite literal terror for political ends.

As it is silly to call something "cyber-murder", it is silly to say "cyber-terrorism". The term is so much hyperbole
and emotional button-pushing.

I've made my point, and I'm done feeding the troll now  ;-)

(Thanks, Patrick. I saw that just last week.)

Dan Lynch, CISSP
Information Technology Analyst
County of Placer
Auburn, CA