Security Basics mailing list archives

Clear gif on a web site

From: Alex <alex.tsr () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:33:54 +0200

While I was trying to troubleshoot why squid could not finish loading
some specific web pages on a well known company's (you could even say
security related, too) web site I found this on squid's logs,

TCP_MISS/200 850 GET http://<LONG URL>r=<HTTP URL OF SITE THAT I
OPENED THE LINK
FROM>&cc=USD&ch=store%3AHHO&events=prodView&s=1440x900&c=24&j=1.6&v=Y&k=Y&bw=1170&bh=806&p=Picasa%3BShockwave%20Flash%3BFlip4Mac%20Windows%20Media%20Plugin%202.3%20%3BGoogle%20Talk%20NPAPI%20Plugin%3BHP%20Virtual%20Rooms%20Plug-in%3BiPhotoPhotocast%3BMicrosoft%20Office%20Live%20Plug-in%3BQuickTime%20Plug-in%207.6.3%3BSilverlight%20Plug-In%3B&AQE=1
DIRECT/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx image/gif

This was what, for some reason, squid could not open. So, I took a
closer look to the whole URL and found out that this was a 2x2 clear
GIF which tracks the information you see above.

This made me wonder. Is it legal for sites to use these trackers? (I
suspect it's a gray zone) Is it considered ethical nowadays?

--
Cheers, Alex.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1