Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Looking for IP Address logging / monitor Application

From: blaze spinnaker <blazespinnaker () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 00:06:21 -0800

I want to be able to view traffic by good and bad ip addresses.  Kind
of like link logger or wallwatcher, but something much more
straightforward and simple.

Basically, I have a set of IP addresses which are OK to send UDP or
TCP packets from my network.

If there is any outgoing traffic to an IP address that is not in the
OK list then I want to flag and show it and be given the opportunity
to put it in the good list.

"Like a firewall? Or ACL?
Other than that, if you get compromised/infected in the future, you
may be missing half the picture if you focus your investigation only
on the "bad" IPs.
"

I have firewalls/routers, virus detection, etc.    I agree, if I get
compromised then there are other steps I want to take.

However, it seems to me, the only real way to be assured that I
compromised is to make sure outgoing traffic from my network is only
going to 'good' ip addresses, even then of course you can't be sure.

Of course, if I get hit by a zero day root kit virus which is staged
from my banking website, what can I really do?  What can anyone do?