Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Detecting/estimate whether data is encrypted

From: john s <rwnin.security () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 11:02:01 -0600

<notacryptoguy>

your brainstorm sounds good at first glance...

any data crypted with an algorithm that has headers and structure
should be easy to find.

other than that, most data used by systems and end-users should be
structured or ordered (if you're collecting packets you may need to
carve out the payload and do some re-assembly to get a good picture of
the non-random structure), but well implemented crypto should (?)
generate output with relatively high levels of entropy.  keying in on
data with relatively high entropy might be the place to start.

no idea if compression would look similar or not.  even if it does,
many compression algorithms are well known, so running high-entropy
data through a battery of decompression algorithms should remove many
of your false positive results.

your final results should be blobs of decently crypted data and random
junk/noise.  most systems and processes make attempts not to waste
resources, so in theory the distribution of crypted data vs junk in
the results should tilt in favor of crypted data...?

</notacryptoguy>