Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Monitoring high traffic utilization

From: "C. Thomas @ ACS" <cthomas () ashleycyber com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:50:32 -0500

Monah,

  Spiceworks is really nice for simple SNMP monitoring of
workstations/servers, it has a lot of nice features for being a free
application.  They are continually updating it.  It primarily uses SNMP/WMI,
but it is possible to deploy it as an agent that reports into your central
Spiceworks server.  You can also setup 'collectors' at multiple sites and
have them report information to a central server.

  We also use PacketTrap MSP as Spiceworks does not provide the ability to
remotely access devices; PacketTrap was originally in the business of
network monitoring and analysis, they turned around and added the ability to
monitor a number of metrics via an Agent or SNMP/WMI ..  It also has a
built-in remote access utility call Expert Assist (by script logic) which
connects to devices through a tunnel initiated by the agent.

  I believe ManageEngine has a free edition of their network monitoring
which allows monitoring of less than 10 nodes via an Agent.

Regards,

Christopher L. Thomas, MCP/A+

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1