Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: vulnerabilities from pcap file

From: Todd Haverkos <infosec () haverkos com>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 10:47:05 -0600

Indeed.   And that's basically the gist of passive vuln scanning.
The Tenable white paper talks further in terms of intelligent banner
analysis for protocols that aren't a simple to glean version info from
as http browsers and servers tend to be.

Josh Siok <jsiok () smp org> writes:
This is not a tool, but simple example:  You could determine what
browser and version a host is running from the HTTP headers (User
Agent).  You could then easily determine if their browser is out of
date and contains vulnerabilities.  I've never done this, but you
could probably set up filters in Wireshark to pick out specific
packets that contain specific header information (like IE7).