Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: security web based forums (not mailing list) with topics coverd by CISSP

From: Todd Haverkos <infosec () haverkos com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 09:18:21 -0500

Sven Aluoor <aluoor () gmail com> writes:
On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Todd Haverkos <infosec () haverkos com> wrote:
Hi Sven,

Hi Todd

Don Donzal's venerable http://ethicalhacker.net has a CISSP forum and
the overall site is quite active.

Thanks. Are there other good security communities/forums? Not
related to CISSP.

That site is actually mostly not about CISSP, so it would do well for
those needs as well.

For web forums...there are lots, but nothing seems to have emerged as
THE place to be.  etchicalhacker.net is actually mostly not about
CISSP as I mentioned.  forum.defcon.org forums would be another
place. Pauldotcom.com forums (and the associated pauldotcom podcast,
and I believe irc channel) another poster mentioned, Security Justice
podcast/irc lacks a forum but is always informative.  Network Security
Podcast with Martin McKeay, Eurotrash security podcast, Southern Fried
Security Podcast, SANS audiocasts, OWASP security podcast, and the
very NSFWSCOTEO
(not-safe-for-work-small-children-or-those-easily-offended) Exotic
Liability podcast are all places to pick up info.  EL has a ning forum
and chat.

But, honestly, Twitter seems like the place where the most security
community is happening.  At bh/defcon this year, it was hard to find
anyone who wasn't on twitter following security happenings.  It's very
useful for the latest in news and short commentary and the like, and
good blog posts tend to get reteweeted among the community there.  But
given its short message microblogging nature, it's not a place to ask
questions or get answers that involve more than 140 characters, so web
forums and mailing lists like this definitely still have a place.

But (unlike web forums) twitter fits neatly on a smart phone app which
appears to suit the relative mobile and high-traveling security
consultant set very well in terms of frequent access.

--
Todd Haverkos, LPT MsCompE
http://haverkos.com/

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1