Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Initial Security assesment for a large university - what to ask?

From: Adam Mooz <adam.mooz () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 20:22:04 -0400

- ACL's for everything.
- Do a physical walk around each network closet, each lab, and physically inspect everything.  You're sure to come up
with quite a few question
- Ask about any 'gotcha's that the network has.
- Get historical data for network load and go through them so you know how to spot unusual spikes
- Find out about the patching cycle
- Ask how the backup system works, offsiet, on site, rotation, etc.  Get acquainted with the courier.
- DRP.  For this see if any of them are willing to be put on a 'call list' incase you have to activate your DRP and get
stuck.
- Get network maps.  Subnets, vlans, the whole shebang.  Get map of the physical infrastructure, compare them so you
know what is what.  Get these maps printed, on a plotter, and go through them with the network guys, write directly on
the map so you don't get confused later.
        - On this note get a similar map of what you control, and what you don't.  For instance, at my school there is
the university network controlled network which handles the WiFi, res, etc.  Then there is the School of Computer
Science which runs it's own network; I believe it's hooked up to the universities network.
- You'll probably also be in control of the telephony system, get familiar with that.
- Go through all SLA's that you hold and are held against you.  Meet with as many people as you can so, if shit hits
the fan, the ice breaker won't be along the lines of "so...about that support...where is it?".  If you're at least not
just a name on a piece of paper to these people you'll be in much better shape when things go wrong.
- Find out of any equipment 'phones home.'  For example, I know some high-end servers and backup drives will 'phone
home' when theres a problem and suddenly you'll have techs at your door, parts in hand.
- Look at your spare parts closet, if you have one.  Go through the stock and find out what goes for what, the age, and
clean out anything that's too outdated to be of use.

Do all this with a notebook handy and take very good notes.  Don't be afraid to 'shake things up', don't just accept
something and use it because "that's the way it was when I got here."  IMO this is NOT a valid justification for
something.  That being said, don't shake things up just for the sake of it.  What I'm trying to say is make sure you
don't let them go before you've got all the answers, once they're gone you're at their mercy for getting questions
answered, usually.  Hope this helps a bit...this is all coming from a student's perspective so there's bound to be a
lot more experience out there that can help some more then me.

Adam Mooz
Adam.Mooz () gmail com
http://www.AdamMooz.com