Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: limit access to other LAN computers

From: Hobbe <my1listmail () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:06:20 +0200

Actually it all boils down to how secure do you need them to be ?
with that I mean how hard should it be for the linux maschines to
break out of their confinement ?
IF and i say IF you know what they are supposed to connect to and what
they are supposed to connect to is a small thing ie
ntp and such stuff then you actually can set some access-list rules in
the switches. (if you have cisco switches most of them support it)
however if they are supposed to run a samba server for all the windows
machines, well then you are pretty much screwed whatever you do.
so start with thinking the design through and how you are supposed to
use the system.
when you have a design, lockdown everything.
when you have locked down everything look at what needs to be open.
when you know what needs to be open, look at what that affects and
what can you do if you open that.
weigh pros and cons and see what you gain and what you loose by opening X.
in the end you will se what must be done for this setup in your system.

HTH

Hobbe