Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: File Information/Investigation

From: Антон Голиков <atron () inbox ru>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 11:55:11 +0400

1. Files keeps only creation, last opening and last modification dates. But some types of files can contain additional
information itself like EXIF in JPEG-format or author in DOC-format. Also you can turn on Windows file system audit
function, it allows you to detect users who read, create and modify files on file system.

2. Imagine next situation: you created file on FS at 07 sep 2009 21:00:01, next you modified file at 07 sep 2009
21:05:00 and then copy to removable media at 08 sep 2009 08:03:05. If you look at properties of this file on removable
media then you see that created date is 08 sep 2009 08:03:05 (it is right because you copied this file on media exactly
at this time) and modification date is  07 sep 2009 21:05:00 (it is right because it is time of last modification).