Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Adobe Alternatives

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 10:53:23 -0400

Hi Ron,

Moving to one of the alternative viewers ... could be
considered "Security by Obscurity".
How so?

I'm concerned about the basic CompSci 101 stuff such as validating
parameters. From my observations, I don't believe the company
practices 'the basics' or dutifully follows techniques laid out by
folks such as Howard and LeBlanc [1,2], or McGraw [3], or Viega (et
al) [4]. In the titles below, 'Security' does not refer to using AES,
Camellia, SHA, or Whirlpool.

It was not lost on me that Adobe was nailed with another overflow
today (post dated 9/26) [5]. Yet another CompSci 101 failure.

Jeff

[1] Writing Secure Code, ISBN 0-7356-1722-8
[2] Writing Secure Code for Vista, ISBN 0-7356-2393-7
[3] Software Security: Building Security In, ISBN 0-3213-5670-5
[4] 19 Deadly Sins of Software Security: Programming Flaws and How to
Fix Them, ISBN 0-0722-6085-8
[5] http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/506739/30/0/threaded