Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: whole disk encryption on multi boot laptop

From: Alexander Klimov <alserkli () inbox ru>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:25:15 +0200 (IST)

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, paul haigh wrote:
I have a Lenovo T61 laptop which has the folllowing Os's:
XP
Ubuntu
Backtrack3

Due to my work environment I need to implement a whole disk encryption
solution.  I would like to do this without having to rebuild the box,
however I can if necessary.  Does anyone have any suggestions on the
best way to pursue this?

The XP part is easy: TrueCrypt can encrypt in-place.

The modern way of Linux FDE is thru cryptsetup and LVM (you need an
unencrypted /boot partition). In theory, as far as there is enough
buffering, you can also encrypt in-place by dd: read from original
partition device and write to encrypted device mapped on the same
place, but in practice it is much safe and faster to get an external
HDD, copy Linux data to it, setup FDE for Linux, and copy data back.
In any case you will need to restore your boot-loader (remember to
read docs on TC boot-loader), but there is no need for "rebuild".

--
Regards,
ASK

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1