Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Tunnelling oneself?

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 09:55:30 -0600

Yes, you can tunnel from you to you. You just won't necessarily gain anything since...it's just from you to you. :)

And no, you likely can't encrypt everything coming out of your computer. Unless everything you talk to knows how to
decrypt your traffic. That includes routers, servers, web sites, mail servers, IM, etc.

If you're on an open wireless network, you could VPN from there to a system you operate at home. That won't include
everything, since you still need to talk to the wireless network, but it will encrypt everything important (probably).

That will result in you encrypting everything important while over an untrusted network, but not encrypt everything
when you're on the trusted network (or more trusted network).

<- snip ->
Hello

I'm unsure if this is possible.

Can I tunnel from me to me?

(with encryption)

If not, is there anther way I can encrypt everything that comes out of
my computer (without having a tunnel)

???

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Panarchy

PS: I can use any Operating System for this, as long as it supports my
Dell 700m :D