Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Judge orders defendant to decrypt PGP-protected laptop - CNET News

From: "Michael Painter" <tvhawaii () shaka com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 12:58:39 -1000

----- Original Message ----- From: <tvlillard () msn com>
To: <security-basics () securityfocus com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 8:00 AM
Subject: Judge orders defendant to decrypt PGP-protected laptop - CNET News

Reference below is an interesting article concerning a Judge's order to decrypt of a harddrive.

Judge orders defendant to decrypt PGP-protected laptop - CNET News

Federal court orders defendant accused of having illegal data on his laptop to type in his PGP passphrase so prosecutors can access decrypted files.

Thanks
Terrence

What's interesting to me is that they've had this laptop for over a year now and it's surely had its share of 'heavyweights' trying to crack PGPs passphrase implementation or decrypt the files in other ways.
I'm not familiar with PGP...does it provide for Plausible Deniability?

http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=plausible-deniability

--Michael