Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Server hardening

From: "Adam Pal" <pal_adam () gmx net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 17:08:31 +0100

Hi Venky,

The question is, can you define a global procedure for hardening a server, or is it an individual task?

I think you can take general statements like "business use only", "must have and not nice to have" to set up a
procedure, but a step-by-step description would be imho. the wrong approach.

It would be prefferably to do the first step define the task of the server, make it as dedicated as possible and throw
away everything else not needed, starting from browser up to particular services.

Depending on the amount of platforms which are to be hardened, it might be usefull to write a small script which will
reduce the server to a zero-configuration.

You write you need clear and understandable steps. This can be done by getting an external consultant to set up a small
manual, or by hire quallified IT staff.

I doubt, that it in a few minutes there can be set up the "list" you are requesting.

Best regards,

Adam Pal
-------- Original-Nachricht --------