Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Data Interpretation

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 23:03:30 +0100

On 2009-03-16 Michael Lynch wrote:
Last week a friend suggested that I download and try nmap, at his
suggestion I tried nmap and found it very interesting.
After installation I tried a scan on a Linux computer that I have, to
test it out.
I found a few results that caught my eye, but I cannot correctly
interpret the results.
Could someone help me with the interpretation?

Here is what is in question!

Port  Protocol  State     Service

12345 tcp       filtered  netbus
27374 tcp       filtered  subseven
31337 tcp       filtered  Elite

Something between the scanning host and the scanned host is discarding
packets to those ports. Could be a packet filter on the scanned host,
your ISP, or someone else along the line.

[...]
I know that all the services listed here are backdoor style breaches,
but does this mean that the machine has been infected by these or that
there has been an attempted attack with these?

No.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"The Mac OS X kernel should never panic because, when it does, it
seriously inconveniences the user."