Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Extended Validation SSL Certificates

From: Odd <iodine () runbox no>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 17:47:09 +0100

W W wrote:
I guess this begs the question on whether extended validation certs
are really worth their merit.  You are correct in the information you
provide to cert companies is not much more then what you would provide
for a standard cert.  Technically they are no more secure than your
standard cert so what is the point?  How many users out there really
know what the "green bar" bar really means or even care?

I don't know, but based on the general awareness of such things by
ordinary users I would guess not that many. What type of clients you
target is certainly a factor consider before purchasing one.

Odd