Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows Fileserver Pemissions

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:45:56 -0400

 We currently have our main fileservers; windows using
 NTFS permissions with all departments folders on the root.
Sounds reasonable if on a separate physical disk: ..\..\.. ....
\System32\cmd.exe is not available.

Permissions are fairly well controlled...
Confirmed through an audit? Be aware of curve balls such as Bypass
Traversal Checking (see Russinovich's interesting article at [1].

 I'm planning to create a new logical partition for HR...
Be careful if you simply copy the files and folders. There are gotchas
depending on whether the drive is on the same or separate volume
(xxcopy works well here).

If I ensured that the groups were managed better what would I
gain by partitioning?
Some performance gains and possibly an increase in robustness.

It's also been my experience that departments usually have a their
shared drive mapped for them during logon. So there's no real need for
a user to know that \\Server.example.com\D$ is the root of the share.
Expect that a savvy user will usually invetigate and poke around (I
usually do).

Jeff

[1]
http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2005/10/19/the-bypass-traverse-checking-or-is-it-the-change-notify-privilege.aspx