Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security Jobs

From: Chris <cweindel () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 14:48:59 -0500

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Curt Shaffer <cshaffer () gmail com> wrote:
This is just a general question for people in the security field out there.
I have been in the IT industry for 10 years now. I have a large range of
experience with systems (Windows and *nix), and networks (wired, wireless,
LAN and WAN). I have, what I feel and others have told me, an intricate
knowledge of a range of IT related topics covering many areas. In searching
for a career, I have found myself getting bored over and over. The main
reason is because I tend to get pigeon holed into one thing or another, it
mainly seems to be systems only things. I've always like security and have
devoted quite a bit of time to studying it pretty intensely over the past 2
years or so. The main reason is because it seems to me that being in
security allows you to keep up on and working on a lot of different pieces
in the IT spectrum. I have had the Security + certification for some time. I
am working on my GPEN then following that with the CISSP by the end of the
year. The problem is, I have been trying to break into a security job but I
still always find myself getting only systems related stuff. I will say I
get people that say "we need a systems guy with a strong security focus",
but the never equates to a security job. Can anyone out there in the field
give me some direction on how I can get a "real" security job?

Thanks

Curt

Need to pass the CISSP? InfoSec Institute's CISSP Boot Camp in both Instructor-Led and Online formats is the most
concentrated exam prep available. Comprehensive course materials and an expert instructor means you pass the exam.
Gain a laser like insight into what is covered on the exam, with zero fluff!

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/cissp_bootcamp_training.html