Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: A good question about NIDS & HIDS or why NIDS ant not just HIDS?

From: Aarón Mizrachi <unmanarc () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 02:36:23 -0430

On Martes 26 Mayo 2009 20:16:56 Juan B escribió:
HI,

I am thinking that if the target of  a hacker is always the server so why I
need the NIDS ? I can monitor very well just the servers with some kind of
HIDS like Ossec and I am done no? why should I care about the NIDS when I
have a well configured HIDS on every server?

Well, depends on the situation of your network...

ex. You have a dbserver having the database of your company accounting, and
you have a webserver to manage this database... There is two important servers
on your network...

Supposing that this servers can only be accessed from your internal network,
you will only secure both servers, and not to monitor the whole network...

In the fact, your servers will be protected to conventional attacks... but...

What about the routers?
What about the switches...
What about the end computers?

An attacker could deploy an attack to your switch like Man in the middle, or
can attack your router forwarding the connections to a malicious computer
having a imitation of your webserver...

This malicious imitation will save and record all login tries and their
passwords... And then...

Your server with HIDS will be secure, but, the information traveling across
the network not.

---------

Yes, there is a possibility to secure the communication, you can install SSL
certificates at both extremes of the conection (server and client)...

But, this could also be broken if the hacker hack into client machine.

thanks

Juan

Need to pass the CISSP? InfoSec Institute's CISSP Boot Camp in both
Instructor-Led and Online formats is the most concentrated exam prep
available. Comprehensive course materials and an expert instructor means
you pass the exam. Gain a laser like insight into what is covered on the
exam, with zero fluff!

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/cissp_bootcamp_training.html

--
Ing. Aaron G. Mizrachi P.