Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: setting up an insecure box

From: ptchinster <ptchinster () archlinux us>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 12:05:16 -0500

Any older software that has a known exploit out there running on a not
uptodate OS will get broken into sooner or later. I have not done what
you are wanting to do yet, but i do have a server offering several
services on the internet and i get to see how people try to break in.

You could set up a web server on an old unpatched version of windows.
Or, set up a ssh server and create a user called "guest" with a
password like, "password" or "guest" or just null. Based on my ssh
logs youll have somebody in your box real quick.

Whatever you do make sure you are in control - dont let somebody take
over your box and then use it to attack others. Configure your box and
network, and other boxes on the network properly.

You may also want to check into honeypots.
http://www.honeyd.org/
You can make virtual computers on your network that you associate a
script to a port. So in the config file you might have a line that
says, "port 80 is open and run scripts/web_server.pl when somebody
connects to it". Then you can have a fake, scaled down web_server.pl
script that is custom built to allow 1 type of exploit. I know thats
how the people who investigate malware do it often - some new exploit
becomes known and they write a program to react as the exploitable
software would - then the payload comes and they have it saved. Its
all about control, knowing what is going on inside your box.