Security Basics mailing list archives

Full disk encryption options

From: aragonx () dcsnow com
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 16:11:28 -0500 (EST)

Hello all,

I have seen this topic on the list before I think but I want to go over it
again if you don't mind.

I have two volumes of business data that is sensitive.  I have a Fedora 9
Linux server that these disks are in.  I would like to have these disks
encrypted.  This is the easy part.

Now for the hard part.  I would like to have the volumes mounted
automatically at boot.  So the security issue comes here.  I would like to
make it so that if the server is not shut down properly (normal init 0)
then on the next boot it requires a pass phrase plus a pass key to access
these volumes.  So the stored pass phrase can not be access able under any
circumstances if the system is not shut down normally.

Somehow I think I would also need to disable the power button on the
machine to prevent someone from starting a shutdown without the root
password.

Any ideas on this topic?

Thank you in advance.

---