Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability Scanning Doesn't Work

From: NeZa <danuxx () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 13:15:39 -0600

I will based my comments on Web Application Vulnerability Scanners....

The main thing is related to Automated and Manual (which i called
Educated) Testing.

Even if you have a talented team of hackers you need to use some
Automated effort, because, lets suppose you have some good XSS, XSRF,
SQL  attack strings to inject but you can not do it manually against
hundreds or thousands of GET/POST right?
You need to automate, so definitely in order to have the best results
you need to use a combination between Vulnerability Scanner (automated
effort) and telented hackers (educated testing).

"Educated Testing starts when Automated Scanning finish" because there
are things a machine can not see.

My 2 cents.