Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Looking for information regarding the use of Skype in an Enterprise network

From: "Jarrod Frates" <jfrates.ml () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 09:48:23 -0800

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Sam Evans <wintrmte () gmail com> wrote:
I'm looking to find out how many large enterprise's have allowed the
use of Skype on their networks.  We are currently evaluating the use
of Skype as a method to make end to end customer calls and am
concerned with the security aspects of the product.

We block Skype where I work (we use an application-proxy firewall that
requires access via the SOCKS proxy for Skype to operate even the IM
function).  Out of about 18,000 users, we allow only two to use Skype,
and even that was granted only after a formal review process.
--
Jarrod Frates
GAWN, GCIH