Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Aladdin eSafe Internet security Appliances - active scan

From: Javier Reyna Padilla <jreyna () onlinet com mx>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 18:00:09 -0600

as far as I know eSafe appliances are just passive filtering, in bridge or routing configuration and it doesn't perform an scan, nor one so aggressive. altough the OS id might be a false positive

¡Saludos!
________________

Javier Reyna CCSE WCSE ISS-CS NSP JNCIA-FWV
Consultor en Seguridad
jreyna () onlinet com mx
www.onlinet.com.mx
,,__
o" )~
''''

Noah.Lance () APCC com wrote:
I discovered a device that was actively and aggressively scanning my computer. I did a nmap OS id and it came out as a Aladdin eSafe Appliance (Linux 2.4 Linux 2.6). Looked at their site and it doesn't appear that they have any active type appliances. They all seem to be passive filter type appliances.
http://www.aladdin.com/esafe

As soon as I noticed this I opened up wireshark and decided to watch any packets with src or dst of the ip. in less than 400 seconds it scanned 11,376 ports consecutively on another computer and then began scanning the next one.

It went from IP 255.255.255.98 to ...84 to ...37, so that seemed fairly random but i didn't bother break it down either. Still with the same aggressive scan pattern.

Curious if we can shed some light on me about a gateway/content filtering appliance doing an active scan of the internal network, over an IPSec tunnel (possibly three, but the other hops are out of my AOR).

Some of the packets did come up as malformed with a correct checksum, as well as a few syn/fin packets out there as well.
Thanks for the time all.