Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Securing my PC at a Wireless Hotspot?

From: rohnskii () gmail com
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 15:39:06 -0700

Some generic suggestions:

<snip>
1.) Turn off the ad-hoc mode on your network card (allows peer to peer connections).
2.) If you're not online, disable your network card.
3.) Make sure you have a firewall in place and running.
4.) If you are viewing your e-mail, you might want to use digital signatures to authenticate and identify yourself.
5.) I would suggest not using your credit card at a hot spot, but if you have to, make sure you're on a secure
connection (for example, https://www.etc.com).
6.) And, of course, it wouldn't be a security article if I didn't say, "Make sure your system is up to date!"
</snip>

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/01/04/04pogue-email/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/130330/how_to_secure_your_wireless_network.html

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070614

http://www.webbuyersguide.com/resource/resourceDetails.aspx?id=12573&category=97&sitename=webbuyersguide&kc=newssecurityeditors011409&src=newssecurityeditors011409
 - Airport Insecurity- The case of lost laptops (a very scary story for travellers)

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9008399&taxonomyId=16

http://downloads.techrepublic.com.com/abstract.aspx?docid=172984

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/techofalltrades/?p=166

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/adventuresinsecurity/protect-laptop-traffic-in-hotspots-and-hotels-part-1-26393

As well there are the other "obvious" tips
- don't leave your laptop unattended
- buy an "electronic tether", you put one piece on the laptop and carry the other, if you get out of range (typically
15 feet) an alarm sounds.
- invoke the password protected screensaver when not using it
- better yet, turn the power off when not using it
- Be aware of "shoulder surfers", people looking "over your shoulder" while you are typing sensitive info (ie passwords)
- encrypt the whole hard drive
- label the laptop so if you do lose it, it will be easy for it to be returned to you (if it is just lost, not stolen).
- don't store sensitive data on the laptop, instead keep it on an encrypted USB drive which you do NOT store in the
laptop case, put it in a pocket or briefcase!