Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: PCI-DSS and IPS

From: Steve Majot <steve () tcpstream com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 09:50:31 -0700

Requirement 11.4 of PCI DSS 1.2:

Use intrusion-detection systems,
and/or intrusion-prevention systems to
monitor all traffic in the cardholder data
environment and alert personnel to
suspected compromises. Keep all
intrusion-detection and prevention
engines up-to-date.

The goal here is to monitor traffic for anything that might present a
threat to PCI scoped data. I doubt an auditor will fault you for using a
UTM appliance as opposed to standalone firewall and IPS devices. Keep in
mind UTM signature sets are frequently leaner than those used by dedicated
IDS/IPS appliances. If you do go with a UTM at the edge, you might consider
utilizing open source IDS/IPS solutions at key locations on the inside as
well.

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/security_standards/pci_dss_download.html

Steve