Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Passive Snort Setup

From: "Jeremi Gosney" <Jeremi.Gosney () motricity com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 22:47:54 -0800

Yes, this is possible through ethernet bridging, which will transparently forward frames (not packets, we're operating
on layer2 not layer3) between two network segments. In this configuration, the bridged interfaces do not need an IP
address. However, it is recommended a third interface is present with an IP address so you may manage the system
remotely. Once the system has been configured as a bridge and is successfully forwarding frames, you can configure
iptables and run snort in inline mode.

A quick google search for "snort on ethernet bridge" returned a really good document:
http://www.hakin9.org/prt/view/building-ips.html