Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Certifications for SOC team

From: Daniel Miessler <daniel () dmiessler com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:18:30 -0500

This question is specifically about certifications that may help us as
team members, to demonstrate competency to the global clients who have
assigned us a task to handle the SOC [security information center] for
them. We have been handed over this responsibilities mostly on the
basis of our experience. [ranging from 1 to 9 years]
Some of us already have CEH, but we all are looking for a line of
certs that has a good deal of respected in the industry.

I'd say, for demonstrating competence to clients, that you want to
look at these, in order:

* Security +
* GIAC GSEC
* CISSP

I've also created a comparison of various security certifications here:

http://dmiessler.com/writing/infoseccerts/

Cheers,

--
Daniel R. Miessler