Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security for grades stored online

From: Ramki B Ramakrishnan <bramkie () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 21:43:17 +0530

This system is obviously a target for people wishing to change their
grades. While I intend on coding securely and keeping the servers
secure (no access from the internet and such) I (and the university)
would like security a guarantee that is similar to that of teachers
manually handing in grades.

No access from internet or the following the manual record system does
not give you any guarantees. I suggest you focus on a) secure coding
practices, b) test, re-test, & periodical tests for the app. c) refer
stuff like OWASP Top 10  and implement a HIDS like OSSEC

Even with all these you can be only relatively assured of security :-)
at times paranoia helps...

Ramki