Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows Server without AD?

From: lukasz () piatek pl
Date: 7 Dec 2009 00:02:22 -0000

Hi.

Do not expect it will be easy to break Windows Server 2003 box because of lack of AD. Windows 2000 introduced Kerberos
as a new authentication method since 1999. There are some slight differences between MIT and Microsoft Kerberos
implementation (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3244). There are many ways how to secure infrastructure based on Windows
Server platform without AD implemented (which is usually implemented only when higher scalability is the primary
concern). You may try to brute force built-in Administrator account but if I were the man who hardened this box (if
such was performed) I would disable this account at all and enable detailed auditing for any fishy activity. You
mentioned about Terminal Services being used on the box. You may use tsgrinder to try to brute force account of
somebody and then try to elevate privileges. If this host is not firewalled (what is sometimes true) you may try this
host to be nessused for any major security holes.

Regards,

Lukasz Piatek
http://blog.lukaszpiatek.com
http://lukasz.piatek.pl
http://ntsecurity.pl

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1