Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Resources expended to AV management solution.

From: John Morrison <john.morrison101 () googlemail com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:11:37 +0100

Paul,

Personally I would continue to use centrally managed systems that
require very little day-to-day effort. In the past I have always put
in the effort upfront to reduce my OpEx costs. If you use something
like McAfee’s ePO you can distribute all the updates and configure
policies from a single point. By creating at least two groups you can
check the updates first if you wish. For example, one (test) group
might consist of a number of devices used exclusively by IT personnel.
These could have all updates installed automatically when released.
The second group would be everything else and the updates could be
manually enabled once the test group is happy. This avoids loss of
business critical systems if an update should have unexpected
consequences and also ensures there is focus to resolve any issues
because it effects the IT guys. Of course you may want to split the
business critical systems in to two groups as well. The first might be
the main system and the second the backup systems.

The product also allows the centralised management of IDS/IPS,
firewall, software deployment, change control, etc. This method also
brings a number of additional benefits that can&#39;t be realised with
point solutions. For example, if there is a known vulnerability, but
no patch yet a HIPS rule can be deployed temporarily. Additionally by
blocking changes to end points that ave no been authorised you can
stop unknown attacks.

Further products like ePO allow management of compliance risk, data
loss prevention, NAC, etc. all through one interface and reporting
system. This means the daily operations guys have only a single
interface to learn and you have only one set of policies to maintain.
With unintegrated solutions I find that the effort involved in trying
to create a set of policies for different applications in a way that
they don&#39;t conflict is very difficult.

See
http://www.mcafee.com/us/enterprise/products/security_management_console/epolicy_orchestrator.html