Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Solaris 10 - Rootkit detection

From: Brad Edmondson <brad.edmondson () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 19:30:55 -0400

You can boot from known-good media (CD), create hashes of your
suspicious binaries, and reference the hashes against sites that
collect malware:

https://www.virustotal.com/buscaHash.html
http://www.offensivecomputing.net/ (registration required for search)
http://www.malwarehash.com/
http://www.team-cymru.org/Services/MHR/ (if you are up for scripting
up a query engine/processor for your hashes).

You may also need to run a filesystem analysis tool to be sure you're
not missing any hidden files, but that's a more difficult topic and
one with which I have less experience.

Regards,
Brad