Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Making /planing a successful SIEM/Log Management project

From: "Frye, Dan" <Dan.Frye () cedarcrestone com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 12:28:04 -0400

The most important thing to do prior to even looking at vendors is
determine the business cases you need to support. Example - are you
looking for simple things like locked out accounts on Windows? Or are
you looking for netflow data that doesn't match pre-established
behavioral patterns? What are those patterns? You have to understand
what you need first.

There are a million and one unique use cases for log data and every
business is different. Find the ones you need, then go look at products,
then match your use cases to what the product can do. Also, don't be
satisfied with a week of PoC time - put it into a "production"
environment, or a copy of it. VMWare out some existing hosts and remove
from your network then run it there - if you use a "test" env you will
miss things or not be able to fully test the use cases you identified.

Good luck ... the concept of SIEM is a very seductive idea, but often
fraught with peril... I learned the hard way.

Daniel