Security Basics mailing list archives

FW: NAC Question

From: kevin fielder <kevin.fielder () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 07:57:19 +0100

Hi

Another great benefit of many (most?) MAC products is that you can
assist yourselves and your uses in maintaining their machines.

You configure various  polices such as AV installed and patched,
latest O/S patches installed, local firewall running etc.
If the client machine fails any of these checks it is only allowed to
connect to certain machines / links (e.g. your update server, your AV
server, windows update etc) This can be achieved either by the NAC
client restricting access or by the NAC client forcing the machine
onto a 'dirty' network.

The machine is either automatically updated, or on screen (via the
browser) instructions are provided to the user to update the machine
and bring it into compliance.

Once the machine meets the NAC rules it is then able to connect to the
normal office network.

Most of the big players offer a NAC solution with the most
comprehensive usually consisting of a local client and a back end
device of some sort (Hardware device or software installed on a
standard server).  Cisco's offering is very good though as with most
of the best solutions clearly has cost implications.

cheers