Security Basics mailing list archives

Skills needed to become a Security Expert and Penetration Tester?

From: Chip Panarchy <forumanarchy () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 20:47:53 +1000

Hello

There was a nice link with information on this which I found a while
ago, does anyone still have the link?

To learn all skills required to be a Security Expert and Penetration
Tester I plan on;

- Learning C++
- Creating my own Linux Distribution (security-orientated LiveCD)
- Creating my own Windows Distribution (security-orientated,
non-distributed, PE type, LiveCD)
- Creating my own Mac Distribution (security orientated,
non-distributed, LiveCD/DVD)
- Continue to subscribe to this mailing-list (pen-test & security-basics)

Are there any other skills which I should be aiming to acquire?

Would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance,

Chip D. Panarchy

PS: I currently reside as a full-time IT Support Analyst, and have
held my job for a fortnight. Plan on working there for quite a while,
and in my spare time training myself for the IT Security field.